Movie Archive & Recent Reviews
AMERICAN: THE BILL HICKS STORY
Report this post
From: raju chowdury
Date Added: 5/27/2013 1:34:19 AM
Nestling in the beautiful little fishing village of Beer, in East Devon, lies the Congregational Church. Situated in Fore Street, the church has been home to Britain's oldest Wurlitzer theatre organ for the last fifty years.
The little Wurlitzer organ was the first to be imported into this country from the U.S.A. in 1925. While the Picture House in Walsall was being rebuilt following a fire in 1924, the owners Provincial Cinematograph Theatres ordered a brand new 2-manual 6-rank organ from the Rudolph Wurlitzer Manufacturing Company for installation at the refurbished cinema. The organ cost in the region of £3,900.
The organ was dispatched from the Wurlitzer factory on the 1st December 1924, and shipped to the UK, destined for its new home at The Picture House in Walsall. Opus 956 was the first Wurlitzer theatre organ to arrive in England and hence it was also the first one to be opened.
After its arrival at Walsall, the Style-D Wurlitzer organ was unpacked and installed into the Picture House over the coming weeks. All of the organ's 450 pipes, its percussions instruments and special effects were all installed in a large wooden swell box type chamber within the cinema. By the end of January 1925, organ was fully installed and operational, ready to entertain the population of Walsall and the surrounding area.
Please supply a reason why
you wish to report this post
© 2006 Cinema Village